Children who are hyperactive, suffer from mood imbalances (frequent crying spells) have difficulty sleeping or experience fluctuations in energy & concentration can positively benefit from proper nutrition.
5 tips to impact a child’s energy levels:
- Remove all forms of refined sugar (candy, chocolate, cakes). These foods can unbalance a child’s blood sugar levels, this have a negative impact on energy.
- Eat complete meals at each sitting, to include fruit and vegetables, carbohydrate (rice, bread, pasta) and a protein (cheese, fish, poultry, lean meats, egg). This will elevate overall nutrient status.
- Identify food allergies or intolerances. Wheat and dairy are often culprits. Look for symptoms such as a bloating stomach.
- Avoid artificial colourings and other additives as best you can, these contribute to the body’s toxicity level. Benzoates (E210-E219) = found in some applesauce, soft drinks, chocolate, icing and Aspartame (artificial sweetener) = diet/sugar-free/no sugar added products; are 2 of many such additives.
- Always aim to eat foods that are in their most natural state. Avoid processed food as best you can. This will ensure that your child receives the optimal nutrients.